- All clowns and animators of the Dr. Clown initiative of Chance 4 Children z.s. are carefully selected on the basis of their personality traits, skills and knowledge, and they are trained at regular, usually international, workshops and seminars to enhance their skills.
- The follow-up training of clowns and animators also focuses on other important aspects of working with children and the elderly. It covers a wide range of topics from general-, health-, disease- and social psychology to free time pedagogy.
- Clowns and animators only visit patients when they are completely healthy.
- Clowns and animators carry out their work with respect for staff and workplace. Upon arrival they are informed about important information which could affect the visit. Clowns and animators always follow the instructions, recommendations and restrictions conveyed by the staff, as apply to patients and the operation of the ward.
- During the visits, the clowns and animators respect the hygiene and safety standards of the facility. At the recommendation of the staff, they use disinfection or protective equipment if the patient's condition requires it. They keep their clown and animation costume and aids hygenically clean.
- If a doctor or nurse enters the room during the visit, they will be given adequate space, even if this means that the clowns and animators will leave the room for the duration.
- Maintaining good relationships with the medical staff is fundamental to the success of Laughter Therapy!
- Clowns and animators approach each patient without prejudice, respecting their uniqueness, regardless of their origin, illness, ethnicity, race, color, sexual orientation, economic situation, or religious and political beliefs.
- The focus is on the patient, his needs, desires and expectations. Clowns and animators approach each patient sensitively and with respect. They enter the room only with the patient's consent. In all circumstances, the clowns and animators can recognize when it is appropriate to end the visit.
- An integral part of the visits is improvisation, which is always adapted to the patient's age, mood and severity of the disease. When appropriate, clowns and animators also involve the patient in improvisation. Improvisation is conducted sensitively, with regard to the patient's reactions and condition. The emphasis is on empathy.
- Clowns and animators treat all patients with a smile and understanding and try to give everyone the same amount of time.
- Any confidential information about the patient and his illness is subject to non-disclosure and clowns and animators never try to obtain this information from patients, in compliance with the (G)eneral (D)ata (P)rotection (R)egulation. The animators provide the patient with a confidential and secure space for color-play and reading activities, which allows them to share concerns and handle this information sensitively with respect to the patient's personal data protection and health. The animators adapt their activities to the nature of the ward, the hygiene and the condition of the patient.
- Clowns and animators respect the private sphere of patients, their conversation and, if necessary, offer to make their visit at a later time.
- Dr. Clown visits are based on active cooperation with other organizations that operate in the hospital. It is par for the course for us to support organizations that have similar or even the same goals as us.
- The common goal of the work of clowns and animators is to create a universally pleasant and relaxed environment in the hospital for patients and staff, which endures even after the clowns leave. For this reason, clowns and animators visit selected medical facilities regularly.
- Clowns and animators are aware of their professional limits and will compensate for their work with proper rest, taking care to maintain good physical and mental health.