What makes us us
THOUGHTS AND RUMINATIONS ABOUT DR. KLAUN – BY J. RAFAL WOJAS, C4C CO-FOUNDER AND DR. CLOWN DIRECTOR FOR OVER 20 YEARS
- We consider love, compassion and empathy to be the greatest assets our Dr. Clown teams can share. Other skills of hospital clowning can be learned, but without the above assets won´t bring the desired effect.
- Clowns need theatrical skills! They develop the personality of each clown and give them needed tools to face divers situations.
- Improvisation skills help clowns to adjust to individual children, to react spontaneously, natural and be fully present at any moment.
- Rhythm, dance and body language development help to hone and use nonverbal communications.
- Through psychological training clowns learn how kids react to laughter in different age groups, what they consider funny and what not, etc.
- When our clowns master simple, basic magic tricks and teach them to children, it empowers them to become magicians themselves and show off their magic to families, friends, nurses and doctors.
- A clown must know the basics of art and music therapy, which help to ease anxiety, release stress, connecting with children on an artistic level.
- Balloon sculpturing knowledge is an addition to hospital clowning and mainly used at the end of each visit as a gift.
- Our clowns use get-well-wish-cards, with a photo of clowns and children, hand written and dedicated to each child individually. It reminds them of the moments spend with Dr. Clown and prolongs the positive impact of laughter therapy, even when clowns are not present.
- Dr. Clown Agents: A series of workshops providing training for medical personnel by teaching basic techniques we use to communicate with children on their levels. This helps the medical staff to better relate to children as patients and to connect and communicate with children to foster joy and harmony and disperse fear and anxiety.
- Maintaining a good relationship with medical staff is part of our Laughter Therapy. With their support and feedback they become an integral part of our team and enhance the positive impact and the long-lasting effect of our visits. Working hand in hand with the hospital staff we communicate to the children an important message: we are all here to help you and we are friends who will do all it takes for you to be back home as soon as possible.